I just realized: I might have acted in more Shakespeare during this pandemic than in my entire career so far!
Despite 2020 being such an extended time of inactivity, I had the most acting Shakespeareances in a short amount of time, thanks to The Show Must Go Online, founded by Rob Myles and Sarah Peachey in the early days of the pandemic. TSMGO created full-length Zoom productions of all of Shakespeare’s plays, one a week, in the order they were written. It’s an extraordinary achievement (that I wrote about for the Folger Shakespeare Library) and an invaluable archive of the complete texts, each given incredibly intelligent readings.
For TSMGO, I played:
- Cardinal Pandulph in King John;
- Duke Senior in As You Like It; and
- Pandarus in Troilus and Cressida — all parts I’d rarely get to play in real non-Zoom life (although I might still have a shot at slimy debauched Pandarus).
Before 2020 I played:
- the Prince of Aragon in The Merchant of Venice for the Back Room Shakespeare Project;
- Claudius in both Hamlet in grad school and Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead in summer stock;
- countless parody versions of Hamet in various RSC shows; and, of course,
- all of Shakespeare’s Complete Works, including his Long Lost First Play.
Since I’ve done so many Hamlets, I can’t wait for things to open up again so I can finally tour our comedy prequel, Hamlet’s Big Adventure!